The continued success of the Classic is reliant upon the dedicated support of a number of volunteer organisations who give up their time to ensure the safety of paddlers, volunteers and landcrew alike.
The Hawkesbury Canoe Classic Race Committee and Association are grateful for the support of following organisations:
NSW Marine Rescue
Provides over 50 vessels and support personnel. Many of the vessels are used as checkpoints and also provide a radio network to allow for search and rescue if required.
WICEN (NSW) Inc
- is a specialist volunteer organisation providing emergency communications support and services where conventional communications infrastructure is inadequate, overloaded or has failed.
- provides radio communications networks for search and rescue activities in rugged terrain as well as personnel to staff emergency operations centres.
- supports community events such as the Canoe Classic by providing a radio network to enable the passing of information regarding the safety of participants and to facilitate event management.
- members are licenced amateur radio operators who volunteer their services to support the community.
- is an affiliate squad of the NSW Volunteer Rescue Association (VRA) (www.recue.org.au).
At the the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic WICEN will:
- Establish a radio network to facilitate communication between each of the land checkpoints, certain boat checkpoints, and Race Control.
- Transfer information regarding passage of craft, withdrawal information, weather reports, and other safety and event management messages. This information will also be shared with the SES and Marine Rescue.
- Pass paddler progression messages between nominated checkpoints.
- Notify and liaise with emergency services, if required, in accordance with agreed race management procedures.
NSW Roads and Maritime
Authorises river closure from the start to the Sackville Ferry. This is invaluable to the safety of paddlers and we are indebted to NSW Roads and Maritime for their continued support.
State Emergency Service (SES)
Provide assistance with rescue vessels, staff checkpoints and parking control at major checkpoints. They also provide safety vessels to control the car-ferry cable crossings.
The Sports Physiotherapy Group
Provides First Aid with Sports Physiotherapy intervention, prevention and advice for a safer and more comfortable paddle experience.
Massage/ stretching and an overall “feel good” service from start to finish with an ‘extra boost’ available at Wisemans Ferry, for those going the full distance.
Services are provided by Australian Physiotherapy Association Sports Group together with the support of additional Physiotherapists who supervise Physiotherapy students from various local universities (eg Sydney University and the Australian Catholic University) together with international students from the likes of Boston University and Fontys University of Applied Sciences, Eindhoven and the Thim Van der Laan University, Nieuwegein, Netherlands.
Supervising and operational Physiotherapists have Olympic, Paralympic, Commonwealth Games and other international experience working for “Team OZ”
Research , training and positive intervention strategies are an integral component of this whole voluntary operation which has been supporting this event for 35 years to date.
PaddleNSW is your organisation. It is run by a keen group of volunteers dedicated to providing member paddlers in NSW and the ACT with the best opportunities to pursue their sport or recreation
Other Groups involved at checkpoints include:-
- Lane Cove River Kayakers
- River Canoe Club
- Windsor Canoe Club
- Central Coast Canoe Club
- Arrow Bone Marrow Transplant Foundation
- Nepean / Blue Mountains Prostate Cancer Support Group Inc.
- 2nd Gordon Scout GroupRichmond Girl Guides (B-B-Q at Delta)
- 1st Mona Vale Rovers (Echo)
- Boys’ Brigade Australia – 146th NSW Company Blacktown.
- Some checkpoints are still run by ex-students of Outward Bound.
Thank you to the following landowners who have donated the use of their land as checkpoints –
- Hawkesbury City Council - Start
- National Parks – Checkpoint A
- Pacific Park Waterski Gardens & Motor Cycle Park - Checkpoint C
- Ken Anderson for Checkpoint D
- Mrs Lola Hamilton for Checkpoint E
- Jofina P/L (St. George Ski Park) for Checkpoint F
- D & B Argles for Checkpoint G
- NSW Waterski Association for Checkpoint I
- Roy Fox for Checkpoint K
- Greg Rowell for Checkpoint O
- Mr. & Mrs J Ford for Pitstop
- Gosford City Council – Finish